Henry Maurice CAHOURS (Paris, 1889 – Vence, 1974)
He was born in Paris but spent his childhood and adolescence in Amiens, where he attended the Academy of Fine Arts. He moved to Paris, exposed to Salon des Indépendants and to Salon d’Automne participating actively in the very vivid artistic life of the capital. From 1930 he is partner in Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts and since 1960s he is present in prestigious exhibitions abroad. His favourite subjects are landscapes, in particular Brittany, managing to grasp perfectly the atmosphere; in his works there is a constant search of the typical colour and light of those places, much to do so that a French critic defined him “the poet of light”. The Gallery dedicated to him many exhibitions and monographs with general catalogue of the works.
Amiens, Musée de Picardie
Cagnes sur mer, Château Musée
Cambrai, Hôtel de Ville
Geneva, Musée Petit Palais
Lorient, Hôtel de Ville
Péronne, Musée Alfred Danicourt
Salon de Provence, Musée de l’Emperi
Troyes, Musée des Beaux-Arts
The City of Vence dedicated to him, in the suggestive medieval town, the «Passage Cahours» and in 2009 his painting Place Surian (1968) became part of the cultural touristic project La Côte d’Azur des Peintres – La Route des Peintres, under the aegis of the Comité Régional du Tourisme.